CAUSE AND EFFECT THEORY - Short Story


I observed him carefully as he walked to the door. I knew that time was running out but suppressed the urge to check my watch. I took a deep breath and started counting down under my breath. "Ten, nine, eight, seven..."

I believe that counting down would reduce tension. Ashwin who sat two rows before me, turned and smiled. His smile indicates that he assumed squad would have moved out but according to my analysis, he did not. While moving towards the door, I could see his hands inside his pocket. Before I end up with number one, he entered into the class again. Now Ashwin again turned and showed his horrible sad face. Not just Ashwin, but almost everyone in the exam hall seemed to be depressed and had their eyes glued just at me. Their looks made me understand that they were really in need of help as I’m just pioneer to everyone but now even I’m helpless. Exam squad first starts with Mohammed kaadhar from first bench and he had intensely checking him, from shirt pocket to under wear since there were no girls in our exam hall. Many started to bath in high sweat. Promptly, some people who were having small cheat paper they just took out, tar and thrown away, even some swallow it in fear.  But few like Ashwin and me still kept that. I sat in the last row and had enough time to throw away but I won’t. This was the last exam in our last semester and as usual I didn’t prepared well. Already I got placed in a good IT organization and the main criterion in the organization was to have a no arrears history. If I throw away the cheat paper which I kept below my bench then I would have fail in this subject and lose the job but if I kept with myself then surely I will get caught since squad was in deep checking. What to do now?

Meanwhile Mohammed kaadhar got caught by hiding cheat sheets in his socks. Squad reported to invigilator and he was no more going to write this exam. Now everyone in the hall felt jitters in their stomach. Almost 90 percent people in our hall were having cheat sheets. But now most of the people had thrown it away after witnessing kaadhar’s circumstance. Still Ashwin and I dint. Even now I have the option to thrown away my cheat sheets without letting others know, but Ashwin cant, as he went one step ahead and kept the subject book under his bench. Actually, we never expected an exam squad and this was our usual behaviour since we joined college. We are not good in studies and that too engineering was not our cup of tea or coffee either. Till date checking is not a part of our college history. We always use cheat sheets not only to pass in exams, but to score high and act as an inspiration to other students. It is really strange on how squad comes into the picture. Totally three people got caught so far and their future was now doubtful. Now its time for Ashwin. Squad came near him and ask him to stand.  Tears are stagnant in the tip of his eye, full body sweat and started trembling in fear. Unexpectedly, squad let the Ashwin free and moved to next person. He checked him thoroughly but due to carelessness or forgot or someother reason, he failed to check below the bench but he had checked in other rows. Ashwin felt extremely relaxed and relieved. He turned and smiled. Yes, he got escaped but I’m damn sure that same magic would never happen again to me. Slowly the knife was turning to my side.  It was exactly only three people ahead of me. If I get caught, then it would become quite obvious to the college management that the marks I had scored so far and my ranking as a third position class topper is a fake. I don’t know what to do? My mind started to abuse me that “you should have thrown that cheat paper before itself” but now I can’t because now squad standing closer to me and checking other students . Totally perplexed. I’m damn sure, I’m going to get caught.

Suddenly, unexpectedly, a voice from my behind called and told, “Hey Vamsi, could you please move to your place, it’s my place”. Its none other than my friend come enemy Varun, who arrived late to the exam hall. Varun, my class topper always hated me and the reason was just a normal human mentality. He is the hardworker, knowledgeable person who studies hard and get good marks. But Ashwin, me and rest of the students always use cheat papers in the exam and get good marks. So he always talks about dharma, honesty, blah, blah and says we will be punished one day severely, but we usually never bother about him. Now his intention was going to happen.

I slowly checked my roll number written on the bench. It was not my roll number. In the bench, I sat in the left side but actually my roll number was next to him. So I moved to the right side of the bench. He sat in my old place. Varun looked at me, who sat beside and gave a mocking smile.

Now I’m coming to the current situation. Varun was sitting before me in the interview panel and I gave a same mocking smile.

“I never expected you here,” Varun started after few minutes of silence.

“Even I didn’t,” I replied with a same smile.

“Soon I will become turn into atheist by seeing you reach good positions in a good organization where I came here to work under you”

“Don’t worry, you will never work under me,” I smirked again.

“Yes I know that. You have to avenge me for reporting to the principal about your cheat paper affair.”

It was kind of shock but that didn’t bother me. More than 15 years had passed and it’s very difficult to even remember that incident. But his words helped me to retrieve it back. Now I understood everything clearly. Varun is the one who had dropped a mail to principal as a stranger, stating that our class students were using cheat paper to pass in the exam due to jealousy.

Now everything was in Varun’s hand. I felt relaxed but not much. Finally squad moved to his place. Happily Varun co-operated the squad by looking at me and gave a mocking smile. His smile indicates, I’m honest and you are going to get caught for your mistakes.

Squad moved his hand below the bench and brought out the seven A4 size cheat papers. Everyone in the exam hall got stunned include invigilator as it was the highest cheat paper ever found, but to my knowledge it was the second highest as Ashwin has the whole book under his bench. Varun’s expression totally changed,

“Sir, it’s not me, actually I’m not sitting here...what I’m…,” he started to stammer in fear.

“I expected that you would have got caught that time,” Varun angrily looked at me and told.

“Yes I might have got caught if you had not saved me,” I retorted.

“You idiot, how could I have saved you,” he angrily shouted.

“Yes if you had not come to the exam hall late and ask me to move to my place, I might have got caught, right?”

“So are you saying, Am I saviour?”

“Kind of, Varun. Do you remember you started to pointing out me immediately once you got caught, and I started to point you back without knowing what to do? If you don’t come at the right time, then I don’t know whether I would have sat here now”

Once Varun got caught, he immediately pointed me by saying that I’m the one who sat before here and the cheat sheet belongs to me. What else I can do? He itself prepared good script for me and I started to act in it from then on. At the next second, I started to point back Varun by saying that, “No sir, I’m not responsible and its Varun, who might have kept that cheat sheets under his row and now trying to point me out” and it keep goes on for the next 15 minutes with heavy arguments. Invigilator, squad everyone tried to check the handwriting written in the cheat sheets with our answer paper but how would it will match? We were no fools and we are experts in copying exams.

After intense arguments, squad comes into the conclusion that we both tried to use that cheat sheets but anyway he never punished us. He just changed our place instead, suggested by our invigilator. Another big reason, he set us free that cheat sheets was not related to our current exam. Yes, unknowingly I kept my current exam cheat papers in my bag and took wrong one of our last completed exam cheat sheet. After we were getting caught, squad, invigilator discuss with them and laughed. That time, I don’t understand the meaning of their smiles but later once I checked my bag I came to know that cheat paper was useless even squad did not come for checking.

“I Wondered to see you as a manager” he blurted out.

“If you want to survive in the Indian IT corporate, you don’t need any knowledge and just your tongue is enough, Varun”

“So, you are setting a bad example”

“No I’m setting a good example to youngsters that Indian corporate only for the people like us and not for you”

 “You are speaking better than college days , Vamsi”

“Yes that’s why I turned into manager where you are still a TL”

“Okay anyway I know the results of mine, you never selected me right?”

I smiled, “Even if I select you, your ego will never be willing to work under me. The reason for the God to bring you here is to get the solution of my long time clarification on how the squad came and checked only our class thoroughly and caught the students. I believe we will meet again.”

Varun stood and started to move away from my cabin. But immediately stopped, turned and called my name and asked, “Hey vamsi, now you got clarified but still I did not clarified my long time doubt”

“What?”

“How come you cleared the final paper? You cheat papers were gone and I’m damn sure that paper was really tough and you are not good to clear by your own. That too, you are topper in that paper. 
How did it happen? Any miracle?”

I laughed heavily and replied, “Have you heard about cause and effect theory, Varun?”

“What is that?”

“Do you believe that because of Hitler we got independence?”

“What are you blabbering?” he interrupted.

“Yes, varun. Even Hitler didn’t know that and he is not the direct reason. He destroyed most of the British armies and then on, they don’t have much financial powers to maintain their army in several countries and that’s the main reason, we got independence. So you don’t do things knowingly but unknowingly the effect happens somewhere because of you.”

“Okay, what is the relation here?”

“There is a relation, Varun. As you always say, I’m knowledgeable then can’t you guess this simple? Okay I will give you another hint. Here the Hitler is you and India is me”

Still I see Varun’s eyes are wide open and trying to understand what I’m saying.

“Okay Varun let me give you another clue, Ashwin got failed in exam but I passed. If you still can’t get solution, then please retrieve the incident again and again. The answer is obvious. Good luck for your future”

Varun moved away with lot of confusion which amused me more. Sometimes I ask myself, how did God helped me to get good job and survive successfully, though I cheated many times in exams but the answer is now clear. Unless you never obsessed about other’s growth whether you lie or cheat to save you, it doesn’t matter. 

No comments: